If you have heard of Himalayan Culinary Salt and are thinking giving it a try, you may want to know more about what makes it different from other salts. You have most likely already learned that it is a pure form of salt that comes from deep within the Himalayan Mountains, that it is packed with vitamins and minerals, and has not been exposed to modern environmental pollutants.
But what about it’s flavor and uses?
First and foremost, you notice that the color of the salt has a “peach” or “pink” color. This is due to the 84 trace minerals contained in the salt which contribute to the salt it’s unique flavor.
You may have also heard that it has a different flavor from other salts. You may wonder how the taste differs and would like to find out before purchasing Himalayan Salt.
Flavor can be a difficult sensation to describe, especially when one considers the way flavors can transition from start to finish. However, most individuals who have tried Himalayan Salt, including myself and my family, find the following to be true:
- Himalayan Culinary Salt does in fact have a unique flavor that differs from regular table salt.
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt is more subtle than regular salt, yet it has a richer flavor that does not have the “twangy”, almost “burning” aftertaste of regular salt. To describe this better, if you put regular table salt on your toungue, you will notice that creates a rather “burning”, “stinging” sensation if you keep it there until it melts; if you try this with Himalayan Salt, you will notice that you can allow the salt to melt with very little of this harsh sensation on your toungue.
- Because of it’s richer flavoring, you may find that you can use less salt on your food and still get the salty flavor you desire.
- When used to season foods, Himalayan Salt enhances their individual flavor, sort of “blending with the flavor of the food” instead of tasting like something you added to it, which lends a full, rich taste that regular salts can not.
- The addition of Organic Herbs and Spices in Himalayan Finishing Salts lends even more flavor to foods.
- Gargling with Himalayan Salt is much more toloratable than regular salt, due to it’s more subtle and less tangy flavor.
Due to it’s denser form, caused by the 84+ minerals contained within the salt, Himalayan Sea Salt has the ability to be fashioned into blocks for grilling, chilling and serving foods, as well as serveware such as bowls, glasses and plates.
Himalayan Salt can literally be shaped into whatever form one wishes, an ability that is better demonstrated by it’s use as a Hand Carved Salt Lamp, which you can find in a variety of shapes.