Edible Himalayan Salt
As the importance of healthier eating and healthier ways of cooking become more and more clear, the interest in Himalayan Sea Salt is quickly gaining in popularity around the world! Word of this beautiful Pink Salt has spread to the US, where it is also quickly becoming a popular method of flavoring foods.
Having already gained a large following outside the US for it’s naturally healthy benefits, renowned restaurants and chefs nationwide are using the salt in their gourmet dishes and healthy recipes. Individuals everywhere are discovering this marvelous form of sea salt, bringing the unique, rich flavor it adds to foods into their healthy cooking, both hot and cold!
Did you know?
Regular processed table salt from your grocery store has been “cooked” at high temperatures, reducing the salt down to mostly sodium chloride, removing the beneficial vitamins and minerals, and adding unhealthy anti-caking agents and preservatives which makes it difficult for our bodies to process. This salt is simply not good for the human body. Meanwhile, unprocessed sea salt derived from our modern ocean water may contain modern pollutants and toxins which are found in ever increasing levels in the ocean water around the world.
Himalayan Sea Salt has remained locked under the Himalayas for millions of years, protected from modern pollutants and toxins. Often referred to as “the worlds purest salt”, it is sold in it’s natural form as an unprocessed sea salt, retaining the 84+ essential minerals with which it was created.
Himalayan Salt – Flavor and Uses
Himalayan salt has a different flavor from other salts.While flavor can be a difficult sensation to describe, most individuals who have tried Himalayan Salt tend to refuse to eat any other salt and find the following to be true:
- Himalayan Salt does in fact have a unique flavor that differs from regular table salt.
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt is more subtle than regular salt, yet it has a richer flavor that does not have the “twangy”, almost “burning” aftertaste of regular salt. To describe this better, if you put regular table salt on your oungue, you will notice that creates a rather “burning”, “stinging” sensation if you keep it there until it melts; if you try this with Himalayan Salt, you will notice that you can allow the salt to melt with very little of this harsh sensation on your toungue.
- Because of it’s richer flavoring, you may find that you can use less salt on your food and still get the salty flavor you desire.
- When used to season foods, Himalayan Salt enhances their individual flavor, sort of “blending with the flavor of the food” instead of tasting like something you added to it, which lends a full, rich taste that regular salts can not.
- The addition of Organic Herbs and Spices in Himalayan Finishing Salts lends even more flavor to foods.
- Gargling with Himalayan Salt is much more toloratable than regular salt, due to it’s more subtle and less tangy flavor.
Due to it’s denser form, caused by the 84+ minerals contained within the salt and the techtonic pressure which created it, Himalayan Salt has the ability to be fashioned into blocks for grilling, chilling and serving foods, as well as serveware such as bowls, glasses and plates. Himalayan Salt can litterally be shaped into whatever form one wishes, an ability that is better demonstrated by it’s use as a Hand Carved Salt Lamp, which you can find in a variety of shapes.
- Grilling, chilling or serving foods on Himalayan Salt Slabs allows it to add the same subtle yet rich salt flavor to foods as it’s traditional
granular form, while lending gourmet presentation to the dish as well.
- Himalayan Salt Grills or Kitchen Slabs can also be used outdoors on your BBQ grill, adding to it’s versatility.
- As Himalayan Salt can be either heated or chilled, and retains it’s temperatures for long periods of time, it is perfect for serving foods upon.
Edible Himalayan Sea Salt is also available in the traditional granular forms; course, medium and fine grains, with many different organic herbs and seasonings such as garlic, mint or even rose added extra unique flavor.
These Gourmet Himalayan Finishing Salts are made of 100% Natural Himalayan Salt blended with organic herbs and spices that add an extra burst of rich gourmet flavor to your culinary experience!
It is a vastly versatile mineral with a myriad of uses that one must experience to fully understand. However, most people who try it are happy that they did!
Care & Use of Your Himalayan Salt Tile, Slab, Block or Grill
First, I would like to explain the difference between a Salt Tile, Slab, Block and Grill; basically, there is none. These different names merely depict a better idea of the many uses for the salt. Unless you are talking about the rough cut, or natural Salt Slabs, at which point it makes sense to call the item a “slab”, it is appropriate to call all of these products by one title. In my opinion, referring to them as tiles makes the most sense as the word “grill” does not pertain to their versatile use in chilling and serving foods as well. These items are all the same, a chunk of pure Himalayan Salt which has been cut into a round, square or rectangular shape between 1″ to 2″ thick for the purpose of cooking, chilling and/or serving foods upon!
There are many uses for Himalayan Salt tiles. Listed below are some guidelines for the care and use of your Salt Tile. If you follow these guidelines, you should be able to enjoy your salt tile for quite a long time by ensuring it’s longest possible usefulness as a tile. Keep in mind, once your tile has worn down or broken you can always use a salt shaver to sprinkle the salt onto your food or break the chunks up and grind them with a salt grinder! For the longest possible use, I recommend the 2″ Salt Tiles, being thicker, they take longer to wear down and are more resistant to cracking or breaking when heated.
There are two things to ALWAYS bear in mind when using your new salt tiles:
- They are HEAVY. Make sure you hold it firmly, so that it doesn’t drop.
- When cooking with the tile, it will get extremely HOT and retain the heat for a long time.-longer than you might expect. Be sure the tile is cool before touching it, or use an oven mitt just as you would with any hot cookware.
- Himalayan Salt Blocks are a natural product, and as such, each block may have varying thresholds for heat and pressure. If you wish to cook with your salt block, please understand that they can crack and even explode, just as a glass baking dish can (with the exception of Pyrex Glass, most of the time).
The most popular use of the Salt Tile is to heat it on the grill, and then enjoy cooking all our favorite barbecue items to perfection on it! This includes meats, fish, vegetables- you name it, they all come out tasting fantastic when cooked on a genuine Himalayan Salt tile.
The tiles also make excellent cutting boards, as salt is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-microbial! Do NOT, however, cut raw meat on your block without properly cleaning it afterwards. You can use the tile for cooking on a stove as well, just be sure to follow the precautions listed below. If you want to use your block in an oven, I recommend a much longer, slower break in period of up to one hour for the first use, with slightly increasing oven temperatures to avoid cracking the tile.
Cooking with Himalayan Salt Tiles
Himalayan Pink Salt Tiles can be heated, cooled, or left at room temperature. Cold and room temperature uses require no special instruction; simply place food on the salt block and serve, or use the block as a cutting board in the kitchen.
Heating Himalayan Salt Blocks requires following some basic steps. (Please see the important disclaimer at the end of this guide.) Allow between 15 to 30 minutes to achieve the desired cooking temperature. This is why they are ideal for grilling; they can be heating up as your coals are getting ready to cook on. Also, note that heating will change the appearance of your Himalayan Salt Block. Your salt plate will crackle slightly on heating as micro-fissures appear, clouding the clear finish of the salt block. This is normal, but you may wish to keep one piece for heating and reserve another for room temperature uses if you would like the clearer look for presentation.
Here are some directions for heating your Salt Tile:
- Be sure the salt block is completely dry. If it is wet, allow it to dry at least 24 hours in a warm, dry place before heating.
- For gas ranges, place your Himalayan Salt Block on the burner over low flame. After 15 minutes (allow more time for plates larger than 8″ x 8″ x 2″), increase heat to low-medium. At this point, your salt plate will be hot enough to cook on, but you will want to keep the flame on low-medium while cooking. If extremely hot temperatures are desired, increase flame to medium-high for another 15 minutes.
- For electric ranges, place a metal spacer such as wok ring or pastry tin with a removable bottom on the stove so that the Himalayan Salt Block is at least 1/2 inch above the heating element. It is important that the salt not touch the heating element, as direct contact could damage your range, your salt, or both. With the salt block in place, follow instructions above, allowing as much a 5 minutes more for each step.
- If you are using your salt block on a barbecue grill (my personal favorite), it is going to be a bit more difficult to regulate the heat. That is why we recommend curing the plate before your first use, by heating it slowly, and then allowing it to slowly cool back to room temperature.
Important: The prolonged contact with moisture that occurs with any longer-cooking recipes dissolves more of the salt tile’s surface, causing irregularities or pitting. While this may reduce the usable lifetime of a Himalayan Salt Tile, many uses should still be possible. That is why I recommend the 2” thick plate for any cooking application. If you are using your salt tile for cooking on a stove, be sure to closely monitor it while cooking, and do not place food or any other item on the tile that can potentially run off the tile and into your stove! Never leave your salt block unattended while cooking.
Caring for your Pink Himalayan Salt Tile
After each use, rinse your salt tile with warm water, scrub with a soft brush or green scouring pad to remove any stuck matter, and rinse again. Tamp dry with a paper towel or clean cloth. Set on a drying rack. This will process removes a very thin layer of the salt.
Treated with care, a large salt tile can be used dozens of times. The powerful antimicrobial properties of the salt insure that it is always proper and ready for future use, with no need for detergents.
If your salt tile becomes pitted from use with moist foods or longer cook time recipes, you can literally “sand” the surface of the tile with sand paper, then thoroughly rinse the tile off with water, dry with a towel and allow 24 hours to fully dry. This will remove a bit of the salt from the surface; another reason why the 2″ thick tiles are recommend.
For Free Edible Himalayan Salt Recipes + more great tips & techniques for using your salt tile, visit the Himalayan Salt Boutiques’ Salt Recipes Blog!